A Guide to Mediation of Fence Disputes
- An opportunity for parties to save time and money, working together to reach a mutual resolutionoutside of court.
- Private and confidential consultation with a professional who will work with you to promote problem solving.
- A 1-3 hour meeting held at a location near you with a professionally trained mediator to discuss your differences as you seek a mutually agreeable solution to your problem.
Who should attend?
- The owners or managers of the properties and others involved in the fence dispute. Attorneys are not required, but let the mediation service know prior to your appointment if you want to bring an attorney with you.
What should I bring?
- Paperwork and photos that describe the problem or help clarify your points.
How do I arrange for mediation?
- Contact the Nebraska Negotiations Program or an ODR-approved Mediation Center serving your county.
- Work with the mediation case manager to determine who should attend the mediation and where and when it will take place.
- If you have an attorney, talk with them to prepare for the mediation process.
Nebraska Negotiations Program
The Nebraska Negotiations Program is administered by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture. They provide mediation for farm and ranch debtor/creditor matters,
related issues and fence disputes. Cost is $20 per person per hour (waiver available). The Negotiations Program also provides free monthly clinics for legal, financial farm and ranch matters. For information on the clinic, please call 1-800-464-0258.
To request mediation of fence disputes, call: 800-446-4071 or visit their Web site:
Nebraska ODR-Approved Mediation Centers
In 1991, the Dispute Resolution Act created the Office of Dispute Resolution (ODR) in the Administrative Office of the Courts and a system of six (6) regional non-profit mediation centers. These centers provide mediation for a variety of conflicts, including family, farm, workplace, neighbor, business, as well as fence disputes. Cost sharing formulas range from $20 to $75 per hour (sliding fee scale available). For more information or to request mediation, please contact the mediation center serving your county. Find it on-line at https://ne-test-courts.cdc.nicusa.com/5682/odr-overview, or call (402) 471-2766.
A PDF brochure of this information can be found at here.